The Passage of a Few People Through a Rather Brief Moment in Time #432: Bane and Gain
One or more persons during a certain period drop their usual motives for movement and action, their relations,
their work and leisure activities, and let themselves be drawn by the attractions of the terrain and the
encounters they find there.
It's a bike ride.
Started by user nathansnider and user theroyalacademy.
It meets every Wednesday at 8:30pm at California Donuts #21.
(3rd and New Hampshire)
We ride at 9pm.
On the ninth year of this bike ride, you might expect:
- more inconvenient passageways
- more full moon picnics
- perhaps more "cover" versions of other peoples rides, performed with amateurish enthusiasm
- certainly more amateurish enthusiasm
- pool halls
- bowling alleys
- dance parties
- imaginary histories
- scavenging for fun and sustenance
- more geocaching
- more oblique strategies
- more Oulipian constraints
- traffic median tea parties
- A medium pace (maybe not for beginners; certainly not a hustle)
- Were not in a rush; we don't need to run every light.
- Maybe some distance;maybe some hills
- Victory donuts!
Bane and Gain
This weekend's ride has a long pedigree of failure: planned once, but thwarted by road closure; planned and
scouted yet again, but thwarted by miserable terrain; and now, it seems, thwarted by fire danger. So we are
left making modifications up until the very last minute. It would be melodramatic to say that this route has been
the bane of our existence, so we will not. But you know what they say: one person's bane is another person's
bleasure? Do they say that? Anyway, we certainly hope that you find this weekend's ride bleasureful enough
that all the bane (such as it is) is justified.
(~45 miles; (probably) lots of unpaved riding; several hills)
- As noted above, we will be meeting on SATURDAY this week AT UNION STATION at 8:30 IN THE
MORNING, and then we will catch the 9:00am San Bernardino Metrolink train to Covina. We'll gather in the
corridor with the ramps to the tracks and head up to the train together shortly before it departs. PLEASE BE
ON TIME and purchase your ticket before you meet up with us. Weekend day passes are $10. If you miss the
train, you are out of luck!
- In the past, it has not been uncommon for many of the ticket machines to be out of order, resulting in
ridiculously long queues. Do not expect to show up at the station 5 minutes before the train and be able to
make it on. You can now buy your Metrolink ticket with their app (in which case you should buy a normal one-
way ticket, not a day pass), but a paper day pass will also work on the Metro return trip and be cheaper
- The ride is starting at the Covina Metrolink station, so if you want to meet us there, our train will arrive
around 9:54am. Be there on time; we will not wait there. Also note that the ride is ending at the Fullerton
Metrolink station and there honestly isnít a particularly easy way to get back to Covina.
- We will be taking the Metrolink from Fullerton back to L.A., and given the Orange County Metrolink schedule,
there is only one train we could realistically catch. It leaves Fullerton at 6:58 and arrives at Union Station at
7:56. So we may have some time to get to know the beautiful city of Fullerton, "The Education Community."
- The route is about 45 miles, and maybe 5-15 of those will be on dirt. There will certainly be a few hills, and
possibly a few more.
- There will be a lunch stop in a shopping center around noon, where we will probably lock up and eat at one
of the many restaurants. You may want to bring a snack to tide you over until we get to lunch.
- Bring all the things that you will need for an all-day bike ride that will extend into the evening hours: water;
lights; a lock (probably); snacks; sunscreen; extra layers of clothing etc.
- This is the second in our series of four once-monthly, weekend, daytime rides this fall/winter. The others will
be on January 6 and February 8
Talk, talk, talk: http://midnightridazz.com/forums.php?topicId=19218
Passage site: http://www.thepassageride.com/
Passage tumblr: http://thepassageride.tumblr.com/
Mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/the-passage-announcements
The hacienda must be built.