The Passage of a Few People Through a Rather Brief Moment in Time #328: The Pursuit of Excellence
One or more persons during a certain period drop their usual motives for movement and action, their relations,
their work and leisure activities, and let themselves be drawn by the attractions of the terrain and the
encounters they find there.
It's a bike ride.
Started by user nathansnider and user theroyalacademy.
It meets every Wednesday at 8:30pm at California Donuts #21.
We ride at 9pm.
This week, we will meet at 8:30am on Saturday at Union Station and take the Metrolink train toward
San Bernardino at 9:00.
On the seventh year of this bike ride, you might expect:
- more inconvenient passageways
- more full moon picnics
- perhaps more "cover" versions of other people's rides, performed with amateurish enthusiasm
- certainly more amateurish enthusiasm
- pool halls
- bowling alleys
- dance parties
- imaginary histories
- scavenging for fun and sustenance
- more geocaching
- more oblique strategies
- more Oulipian constraints
- traffic median tea parties
- A medium pace (maybe not for beginners; certainly not a hustle)
- We're not in a rush; we don't need to run every light.
- Maybe some distance;maybe some hills
- Victory donuts!
The Pursuit of Excellence
Though a longer, more elaborate ride announcement might be warranted here, it behooves us to remind you
(scarcely more than an hour before our normal ride time, we know) that the Passage is on Saturday this week.
So, lest you show up at the donut shop to find no ride and declare the entire enterprise bogus, we will be
uncharacteristically straightforward. Let it suffice to say that this week, we will be going to the furthest reaches
of the San Gabriel Valley and, much like Mssrs. Logan and Preston did with their historical figures, exposing
you to all the best things that the 1980s had to offer - aerobics*, water slides**, roller rinks***, etc.****.
All in all, a most excellent adventure.
(30 miles, several of which are off-road; hilly)
*aerobic exercise, anyway
**or at least some establishing shots thereof
***that is, the rolling of your tires over... stuff?
****definitely lots and lots of cetera; we promise you that!
- There is no ride tonight, Wednesday, December 5
- As noted above, we will be meeting on SATURDAY this week AT UNION STATION at 8:30 IN THE
MORNING and catching the 9:00am San Bernardino Metrolink train to Covina. We'll gather in the corridor with
the ramps to the tracks and head up to the train together shortly before it departs. PLEASE BE ON TIME and
purchase your ticket before you meet up with us. Weekend day passes are $10. If you miss the train, you are
out of luck!
- It is not uncommon for many of the ticket machines to be out of order, resulting in ridiculously long queues.
Do not expect to show up at the station 5 minutes before the train and be able to make it on.
- The ride is starting at the Covina Metrolink station, so if you want to meet us there, our train will arrive around
9:38am. Be there on time; we will not be waiting. Also note that the ride is ending at the Pomona (North)
Metrolink station, so if you need to return to Covina afterward, you will either need to ride there (about 9
miles), or take the Metrolink one stop back.
- The route is around 30 miles, with multiple, long off-road portions. Expect some hiking.
- There will be a lunch stop around lunch time, conveniently located near the Claremont Metrolink station in
case you plan to leave early or have decided that the first half of the ride was totally bogus. A lock is
- Bring water; bring snacks; bring sunscreen; bring extra layers of clothing.
- This is the second of four planned once-monthly, weekend, daytime rides this fall/winter. The others will be
on Jan. 9 and February 6.
Talk, talk, talk...
Check out our web site!
(and our tumblr!)
(and join the mailing list!)
The hacienda must be built.